WE BELIEVE IN FAIR HOUSING

"In accordance with Federal law and U.S. Department of Agriculture policy, this institution is prohibited from discriminating on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, age, or disability. " 

                     • We gladly receive inquiries from all.

                    • We apply fair and equitable criteria when evaluating applicants.

                    • We enforce our rules equally and without discrimination.

                    • We set rents, deposits and fees without discrimination.

                    • We do not discriminate during any of the following services: in the sale or rental housing or residential lots; in the advertising of the sale or rental of housing, in the                           referral for the financing of housing, referral for real estate brokerage services, nor in the referral for appraisal of housing.

If you believe that you have experienced discrimination, please contact any of the following:

Lewis County Fair Housing Office
Casandra Buell, Fair Housing Officer
     Mail: 7660 N. State Street, 3rd Floor, Suite 324, Lowville, NY 13367
     Phone: 315 376 5919 | Fax: 315.377.3137
     Online: https://www.lewiscounty.org/departments/planning/fair-housing
     Email: casandrabuell@lewiscounty.ny.gov

U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD)
    Mail: 26 Federal Plaza, Room 3532, New York, New York 10278-0068
    Phone: 800 669 9777 (TTY: 800 927 9275)

USDA, Director, Office of Civil Rights
    Mail: 1400 Independence Ave S.W., Washington DC 20250 9410
    Phone: (800) 795 3272 (TDO: 202 720 6382)
    Online: http://www.ascr.usda.gov/complaint_filing_cust.html
    Email: program.intake@usda.gov




Reasonable Accommodations

The New York State Human Rights Law requires housing providers to make reasonable accommodations or modifications to a building or living space to meet the needs of people with disabilities. For example, if you have a physical, mental, or medical impairment, you can ask your housing provider to make the common areas of your building accessible, or to change certain policies to meet your needs.
To request a reasonable accommodation, you should contact your property manager by calling 315-376-2639, or by e-mailing information@snowbelt.org. You will need to inform your housing provider that you have a disability or health problem that interferes with your use of housing, and that your request for accommodation may be necessary to provide you equal access and opportunity to use and enjoy your housing or the amenities and services normally offered by your housing provider. A housing provider may request medical information, when necessary to support that there is a covered disability and that the need for the accommodation is disability related.

If you believe that you have been denied a reasonable accommodation for your disability,
or that you were denied housing or retaliated against because you requested a reasonable accommodation, you can file a complaint with the New York State Division of Human Rights as described at the end of this notice.

Specifically, if you have a physical, mental, or medical impairment, you can request:  
Permission to change the interior of your housing unit to make it accessible (however, you are required to pay for these modifications, and in the case of a rental your housing provider may require that you restore the unit to its original condition when you move out); Changes to your housing provider’s rules, policies, practices, or services; Changes to common areas of the building so you have an equal opportunity to use the building. The New York State Human Rights Law requires housing providers to pay for reasonable modifications to common use areas. Examples of reasonable modifications and accommodations that may be requested under the New York State Human Rights Law include:  
       • If you have a mobility impairment, your housing provider may be required to provide you with a ramp or             other reasonable means to permit you to enter and exit the building.
        • If your healthcare provider provides documentation that having an animal will assist with your disability,            you should be permitted to have the animal in your home despite a “no pet” rule.
        • If you need grab bars in your bathroom, you can request permission to install them at your own                          expense. If your housing was built for first occupancy after March 13, 1991 and the walls need to be                  reinforced for grab bars, your housing provider must pay for that to be done.
        • If you have an impairment that requires a parking space close to your unit, you can request your                        housing provider to provide you with that parking space, or place you at the top of a waiting list if no                  adjacent spot is available.
         • If you have a visual impairment and require printed notices in an alternative format such as large print               font, or need notices to be made available to you electronically, you can request that accommodation f               from your landlord.

Required Accessibility Standards

All buildings constructed for use after March 13, 1991, are required to meet the following standards:      
       • Public and common areas must be readily accessible to and usable by persons with disabilities;
       • All doors must be sufficiently wide to allow passage by persons in wheelchairs; and
       • All multi-family buildings must contain accessible passageways, fixtures, outlets, thermostats,                           bathrooms, and kitchens.

If you believe that your building does not meet the required accessibility standards, you can file a complaint with the New York State Division of Human Rights.

How to File a Complaint

A complaint must be filed with the Division within one year of the alleged discriminatory act or in court within three years of the alleged discriminatory act. You can find more information on your rights, and on the procedures for filing a complaint, by going to www.dhr.ny.gov, or by calling 1-888-392-3644. You can obtain a complaint form on the website, or one can be e-mailed or mailed to you. You can also call or e-mail a Division regional office. The regional offices are listed on the website. 

Landing Page Creator